Friday, February 26, 2010

"Diet Schmiet"

“The only time to eat diet food is when you are waiting for the steak to cook”. Julia Child. As told to me by my wife Abigail, although I do feel this is spot on.

I am at my most optimistic the day before I start a diet. I am high on life, indulging myself in whatever peaks my palette, living large and usually consuming profuse amounts of cheese all in the interest of hoping to satiate my desire to have such luxuries in the coming days of self deprivation. Inevitably I will tell everyone around me when I am starting my diet, what diet plan I will be following (South Beach, Atkins, etc) and how much weight they can expect to see falling off my body and inescapably, by the third day I am no longer dieting. In fact by the 3rd day I am so mad at the fact that I have to diet that I curse myself for ever discovering super nachos and Pale Ales. This is a vicious pattern I have repeated more times than I wish to admit. What is it about dieting that is so illusive to me? (I bet Dawson never had to deal with lack of motivation, then again Pacey was always trying to get his girl, and by the by, would have thought she would end up with Maverick anyways) Yet, I digress.

My consistent plan for eating seems to be eat lots of cheese, pizza and Mexican food, without giving consideration to portion. Is that bad? I’m kidding I know it’s bad, but it tastes so good. But here I am, well into the 2nd month and hovering right around the 15 pound weight loss, and I need to lose another 50-60 pounds, so I guess it’s time to climb the diet bandwagon again. The pressure of the documentary makes me certain that I will be able to follow through, but the doubts creep in and seem to find plenty of place to live. However it’s pretty linear right now and I just need to follow the line: I need to eat less in order to lose the weight, I know I have to lose the weight in order to jump higher, and I know I have to jump higher in order to dunk the basketball.

I am going to see Dr. Ida P. Crocker-Sabbagh next week which will begin the medically supervised portion of the documentary (hopefully she won’t want me to do anything crazy like cut cheese or sandwiches out of my life). March is my do or die month, I need to lose at least 20 pounds between now and the end of the month in order to stay on task. Heather has really upped the workouts, just flat out hammering my legs (why is it my double chin won’t go away? Probably the afore mentioned cheese dilemma). I am feeling better, just not looking it yet, and let’s be honest it’s all about looks now a days. I hope to, in several months, look back at the picture above (which will become the poster for Dunk) and not cringe. The goal of Dunk is to end up a better person than I was before I started in all facets of life (not just really-really good looking with flowing curly hair).

There is big news on the horizon, can’t wait to share it with you all but will have to wait until things are finalized. I would love to hear from anyone who has anything to say at all about DUNK? so please email me at cspannagel@gmail.com.

If you live in Phoenix and need a place to workout, go to Sky Fitness, honestly wouldn't have lasted these 7 weeks without the H-Track and her workouts. I am actually starting to feel like an athlete again. www.skyfitaz.com

If you need serious savory seasoning for any meal go to www.slavosalt.com, it’s the fricking shiznit.

1 comment:

  1. Two blog posts, both with unnecessary Dawson's Creek references. What gives?

    ReplyDelete